Tuesday, 27 June 2017

FIFA: Corruption Report Into 2018, 2022 World Cup Bids Leaked

Claims of alleged corruption in the successful 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids by Russia and Qatar have been published in German media.
German newspaper Bild says it has obtained the "suppressed" 2014 report authored by former FIFA independent ethics investigator Michael Garcia.

The newspaper is set to publish extracts from the 430-page dossier, authored by Garcia, over the next few days.

The media outfit's report includes details of a $2m (£1.6m) sum allegedly paid to the 10-year-old daughter of a FIFA official.

The tabloid also said it will explain the role that the leadership of the Qatari Aspire Academy played in manipulating FIFA officials with voting rights.
It said three FIFA executive committee members travelled to Rio in a private Qatari FA plane in late 2010, just days prior to the vote that saw Qatar awarded the 2022 World Cup.

Garcia quit in December 2014 in protest at the handling of his report into the bidding process.

The German newspaper claims:

Three FIFA executive members were flown to a party in Rio in a private jet belonging to the Qatari federation before the vote for 2018 and 2022 hosting rights.

The Aspire Academy in Qatar was implicated "in a decisive manner" in "the manipulation of FIFA members who had the right to vote".

In a Facebook post via BBC Sports, Peter Rossberg - the Bild journalist who claims to have obtained a copy of the report - said it "does not provide the proof that the Russia 2018 or Qatar 2022 World Cup was bought".

He said it would "be naive to believe that people like Garcia or [then deputy chairman of the investigatory chamber of FIFA ethics committee Cornel] Borbely could have been able to find definite proof."

However, he added that "especially with Qatar there are many strong indicators which basically don't allow for another conclusion.

It's a genre picture about greed, corruption and cover-ups."  Rossberg has published some sections of the report on his Twitter account.
FIFA's inquiry looked at the conduct of all nine bidding teams who were trying to win the right to stage the 2022 World Cup or the 2018 event, which was awarded to Russia at the same ceremony in 2010.

Who is Michael Garcia?

American lawyer Michael Garcia led the investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process but resigned from the FIFA ethics committee in December 2014 in protest over the handling of his findings.

Garcia had been unhappy with the 42-page summary of his findings that was released by German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert.

The lawyer said he lost confidence in the independence of the ethics committee and that the summary, reduced from his 430-page dossier, had misrepresented his work.

The former U.S. attorney was appointed in July 2012 with the primary task of probing the controversial 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests.

Bild said that the 430-page dossier was the basis for the arrests of FIFA officials in Zurich in May 2015, adding that the Garcia report led to several bans for high-ranking officials at the governing body.

No comments:

Post a Comment