Wednesday, 29 November 2017

Montella Admits He Was Shocked By Milan Sacking

Vincenzo Montella admits he didn't expect his dismissal by AC Milan this week. Montella has been dumped and replaced as head coach by Rino Gattuso.
“I was calm and I didn't suspect anything, I swear," Montella told Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Anything. I was ready for training as always, on a normal day like any other.

“What surprised me most? The timing, there were other times where it would have been more plausible. This time the team was giving answers though, both technically and temperamentally.

“When I arrived at Milanello I was greeted by [Giuseppe] Mangiarano, our secretary general who came with me to see the [sporting] director. Then [Massimiliano] Mirabelli told me they'd made the decision in the night.

“The time zone did the rest, I think it was a choice more by the owners than the directors.

 “The players greeted me with great affection, I don't like goodbyes and it was certainly a bad thing but everyone - and I mean everyone - was affectionate.

“Even [Riccardo] Montolivo who had been out for some time and [Gabriel] Paletta who, like some others, hadn't played much.

 “The expectations were raised too high, as Milan Coach I won 33 games out of 64, so 50 per cent between the league and the cups.

“After that I certainly remember the win in the Supercoppa Italiana, the return to Europe and finishing first in the group to go through.

“These were results Milan had been missing for several years and we all shared in them.

“If Nikola Kalinic had scored [against Torino] or [Hakan] Calhanoglu had found the right angle in the 92nd minute maybe we wouldn't be in this scenario."

No comments:

Post a Comment